Is Vigil Honor Member Still a Brotherhood Member?

Well I was searching the web for information on the OA and came cross this thought it was intresting and want your thoughts on it……

The two membership levels of the OA are Ordeal, and Brotherhood. Recipients of the Vigil Honor are still Brotherhood members, but have been recognized by their Lodge, and the National Committee, for their continued service and dedication to the order.

More information from the link below….

www (Let the Patch Be With you)
redneck_patch_trader

Comments

Another question I have is why is their not a Knot for the Founders Award. It seems to me to be more prestiguous than many of the other awards for which Knots are given.

I am NOT a knot collector and do not wear knots on my uniform. I know to many for whom they are an ego trip.

BigJim

By BigJim on February 6th, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Big Jim

I can echo that sentiment. In Lincoln Heritage Council we have a pair who if offered a knot for jumping off a bridge unassisted they would be #1 and #2 with number 1 also beng recipient of the third knot. I wear them but only ones that mean something to me. Eagle, Arrow of Light, Dist Award of Merit, Silver Beaver and Religeous Award

By thebar on February 6th, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Please send me information on the jumping off the bridge unassisted square knot. If earned twice, is there a device or can the knot be worn twice? Does it come in different colors for my Sea Scout blues, Sea Scout whites, and Venturing green uniforms? Thank you in advance.

By ISCA87L on February 9th, 2009 at 7:57 pm

can we return to my topic…. I was seriouse about this? I am confused…..

SHAUN:confused:

By redneck_patch_trader on February 11th, 2009 at 10:33 am

Shaun

I think it is a semantic difference. Vigil status has always been confered as an honor for service to a lodge. There are not set requirements beyond the tenure of 2 years as a Brotherhood member for any lodge. Vigil honor is confered to those honored by the Lodge and not by personal choice as is Brotherhood. Some lodges have such strict views of this honor they rarely name Vigil recipients while other lodges cook the books to expand their quota beyond those proscribed by National Policy. ( Every body deserves to be a Vigil)I understand that is clarifying with mud , but it has more to do with honor than a class of member. The thread of knots is relevent as some people see Vigil as one more thing to achieve in a Scouting career. If you expect to be Vigil, you do not deserve to be Vigil. You ought to feel unworthy when called out.

My .03 (inflation corrected)

By thebar on February 11th, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Well, Wikipedia isn’t always correct. The OA Handbook and Guide for Officers and Advisers reference “Vigil Honor members” numerous times in addition to Ordeal and Brotherhood members. It never calls them “Brotherhood members who hold the Vigil Honor” which is what they would have to be called if Vigil wasn’t considered a membership level.

By ISCA87L on February 11th, 2009 at 4:55 pm

😀
I was not expecting to recive my honor…. I just went to events and did everything they asked of me…. I went to have fun it wasnt, something I went out to earn…Somehting that found me….

thanks everyone……

thebar;1791 wrote: Shaun

My .03 (inflation corrected)

By redneck_patch_trader on February 12th, 2009 at 1:33 am

I have to agree with Red (or is it Mr. Neck?). Was not seeking mine, suprised when I received it (as a youth), and did not feel particularly deserving. Probably all good things. Lodges can select one for every 50 members on the books, so it does not take a large Lodge to have a lot of Vigils. But if you listen to the ceremony, maybe that is not a bad thing. You are selected for the Vigil honor not for service that you have provided to the lodge, but for service that it is believed you will provide in the future. My 2.2 cents.

By Cut Edge Critter on February 12th, 2009 at 1:53 am