Mixed Lot Parade: What’s In Your Grainy Picture?

One of the fun things that I get a chance to highlight in the Hot Finds Newsletter is mixed lots. It seems like these are the most popular pictures to click on within the email. All of us have the curiosity to see if there is something really special hiding in there. Well the last week was a good one for this particular area. So let’s have some fun. A Scout is trustworthy so feel free to post your score as a response to this post. Can you guess within $50 the final price? If this was the Price is Right would you be coming up on stage?

Vintage 50’s Boy Scout Sash, Patches, Arrow and Misc

Lot Old Boy Scouts Pins/Patches/Cub/ Sashes Webelos

7 National Jamboree 1950 Patches I Neckerchief & More

174 Council Patches

BSA Boy Scout Patch Lot of 7

Huge Lot of 156 Boy Scout Council Patches

Comments

Well, I was way off, mostly because I don’t know the values of the various items, and also because some of the key pieces weren’t in the main photos. I guess $400 is a good price for the Daw-Zu 138, plus the mb sash and other conclave and OA patches that I can’t quite make out. And you can’t beat $122.50 for the Wahpinachi 308 F1a first flap and Philmont 1960 Golden Jubilee.

By ISCA87L on May 28th, 2009 at 4:44 am

By jason on May 28th, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Personally, having a large box of social lubricating material for NOAC or Jamboree at that price is a real bargain. But,that is how I trade. The real serious collectors would piffle posh that I am sure.

By thebar on May 28th, 2009 at 4:40 pm

i sold off my odds and end stuff like camporees camp and council event stuff to buy csps and flaps and jacket patches to trade at noac…. I am attending for the 9th year the international brotherhood camporee in Canada this year… its basicly the jamboree for a weekend… even years its in usa odd years in canada…. I do seriouse trading from sun up and sun down for 4 days on the canada side….

if you been there you know its tons of fun….

SHAUN

By redneck_patch_trader on May 28th, 2009 at 5:15 pm

jason;2288 wrote: I guess an obvious question would be does anybody think that getting random csps for about $1.50 each is an incredible bargain or fool’s gold?

Speaking as a serious CSP trader, $1 each is an incredible bargain and $2 each is just okay. They can be converted into memorabilia auction donor CSPs at the CSP Guide values a lot of times which means you end up paying out of pocket about half of what the face value of the donor CSP is. As John mentioned, they’re also great for 1:1 trading with beginner traders.

Ironically, because of the price tags on patches in the Scout Shop today, current CSP’s cost more than some 25 year old ones.

By ISCA87L on May 28th, 2009 at 8:59 pm

As for the grouping with the Explorer Ranger Scribe, I hit it right on. Yes because I won the Auction. The last Explorer Scribe on eBay sold for over $300.

BigJim

By BigJim on May 31st, 2009 at 1:27 am

BigJim;2299 wrote: I wish I had seen and bid on the Daw Zu. I cant tell for sure the condition of the patch but I would pay $800 for the lot without blinking. It makes me sick I missed that auction. I know a lot of other 138 collectors also missed it. A mint Daw Zu should go for $1200.00.

Looks like the Daw-Zu is on the market again. With a slight markup.:eek:

OA Lodge 138 Daw-Zu First Flap FF

By ISCA87L on June 6th, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Kind of high priced. I know where one is for sale for $1400.

PS It is also in mint condition and has a history. I paid $200n for mine which is in poor condition BUT I have one.

BigJim