Can You Find The Gems in These Mixed Lots?

It has been a good run recently on eBay for my favorite auctions to look for – mixed up piles of patches. Often times the seller may have very little knowledge of what they have so they market it as a winner takes all free-for-all. Can you – the amateur patch detective – figure out why these lots went through the roof?

Big Lot Boy Scout Items 40s-50s Patches Awards Jamboree

421 Boy Scout Patches Plus

Vintage 181 pc Lot Boy Scouts BSA Patch Merit Badges

Comments

Well, there’s a lot to like in the first batch. 50 & 53 NJ and 55 WJ items, 50’s vintage Explorer stuff including a GB strip that I can’t read. The shirts with both 50 and 53 NJ patches on them remind me of a question. All of the unaltered 50 NJ shirts I’ve seen have the patch sewn on the pocket as opposed to the current placement above the BSA strip. Was that true of 53 too? When did NJ patches start being placed up high? 1964 maybe?

The 2nd lot is a bit riskier. Some old Tannu and San Gorgonio patches and a Turkey RW strip. Hard to justify $407 though.

On the last bunch, you’re going to have to tell me what you see there. Absolutely nothing jumps out at me.

By ISCA87L on October 1st, 2009 at 6:15 am

I was the purchaser of the first lot and look forward to revealing the value items in this lot. But, in the meantime, I look forward to more opinions of which items had the value. ISCA87L was on the right track. The test has begun. Who is the smartest fifth grader…I mean patch collector?

My sniper price was $900. That means I felt it was worth more than that. Obviously, I was pleased with the low purchase price.

Now for the fun… Some questions….

What was the item that is very rare, not seen before and with value unknown?

There were many items that were rare. How many can you see that are worth more than $20 per item? There are many.

What percentage of the items were World Jamboree related, National Jamboree related, sea scouts, explorer, rank or insignia?

Since I am mainly a world jamboree buyer, obviously there were some interesting items in my area. Specifically, what were they?

Which one was the Kanderstag Switzerland 1979 World Jamboree patch?

What were four like kind items that are worth minimum bids of $60 apiece?

By Olsonofagun on October 2nd, 2009 at 11:12 am

I was watching all 3 just to see where they ended up. I love to watch the auctions as I am not in a position to spend Thousands of dollars at time, after all I am raising 4 sons. I knew the first lot with the older jamboree items would do well. I too am puzzled about the third auction as nothing jumped out at me, I expected it to go for about $75 it truly is fun to watch and see where some of these auctions end. Sometimes I do wish I had a money tree in my back yard.

By oyovigil on October 2nd, 2009 at 12:07 pm

ISCA – it used to be that you wore the jambo patch on the pocket during the event, and then afterward moved it up above the pocket. not sure when this changed, but the last jambo i attended– the 1971 world– that was still done. this was true of NJ and WJ patches both.

By hiker on October 3rd, 2009 at 5:29 am

Thank hiker. I just received a souvenir booklet from Newport Beach of the 53 Jamboree and there are photos of the CSE wearing the 50 and 53 NJ patches just like the shirt in this auction. 53 on the pocket and 50 above the BSA strip.

@Olsonofagun: If I had a choice of one patch from the lot, I’d probably grab the 50 WJ backpatch, at least from what I know and can see. Tell us what the great unknown mystery item is!

By ISCA87L on October 4th, 2009 at 3:27 pm

At the 1975 world jamboree, we were not required to put the patch on the pocket. We put it above the pocket.

As a side note, each attending scout was given a couple of silk patches that were suppose to be sewn above the pocket on the uniform. This accounts for the higher price paid for the silks. There are very few that were not sewn.

Some scouts substituted the round nordjam patch onto their uniform instead of the silk. It was usually the scouts that were traders and knew the silks would be rare due to the uniform requirements. Other countries did not require that the silks be sewn onto the uniform. But, being that the patches were silk, they were easily destroyed over time.

The reason for the round official back patch higher value was the unusually high price for the back patches at the jamboree. Not many scouts could afford the back patches.

By Olsonofagun on October 4th, 2009 at 4:38 pm