Buy-It-Now or Best Offer…Hmmm Does Anybody Use That?

One of my good friends in the hobby likes to run items using an unusual selling strategy. If he gets a really good piece in he will price it at retail and run it as a Buy-it-Now or Best offer. The thought is that if somebody sees the retail price but knows you are willing to haggle a little over the sale they might just make you an offer that you can’t refuse. eBay actually makes this process very easy for the seller because you can plug in the amount that you will automatically accept and the amount that you want to automatically decline. So if ten people offer you $10 for the $100 patch you have listed they get an automated email from eBay saying your offer has been declined. So what I wanted to do in this post was catch those interesting items that sold recently with this strategy. I’ll list the item and buy-it-now price and if you want to see how low the seller went.

Nevada Area TA-1 Mint ($4000)

Boy Scout 1894 Capt Baden Powell Pigsticking Book ($4999.99)

Wahissa Lodge 118 S1 Order of the Arrow Flap, Patch, OA ($600)

OA Lodge 256 Deer Rock A1 on white n/c pre1955 Old Name ($575)

OA 188 Itibapishe Iti Hollo F1 Flap – Ultra Rare ($499)

Boy Scout Merit Badge Type A Square Taxidermy RareΒ ($500)

Comments

[SIZE=3]I saw this one when it was live on eBay and didn’t realize anybody had purchased it. Check out the discounted price!

ANTIQUE 1933 BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA SIGN FRM FORT LEE NJ ($1250)

[/SIZE]

By jason on October 14th, 2009 at 5:10 pm

My experience with BEST OFFER is that the seller lists the item high and declines your offer when you offer the going price for the item. Many sellers still think items are selling at a higher price than they did 2 years ago when in effect they are selling lower. They must work for the Government. We all are seeing our investments drop but our taxes keep going up. I have quit making best offers. Watching bids on an item over a period of time gives you a real sense of its worth.

BigJim

By BigJim on October 14th, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Jim,

You should check out my store. I dont decline many reasonable offers.

By carolinacloth on October 14th, 2009 at 8:59 pm

carolinacloth;2622 wrote: Jim,

You should check out my store. I dont decline many reasonable offers.

Got any of my World Jamboree needs? click here

I’ve used But-It-Now for my needs and if the price + shipping is about what I think it’s worth to me. I typically use it where I fear someone else might buy it first, or where there is no other bidding option. I’ve only gotten one great bargain through Buy-It-Now, and it was for a prototype license plate. I think most Scouting memorabilia sellers have a good sense of what the value is or they tend to overprice instead of underprice items.

My experience with Best Offer is the same as BigJim. Every single one I’ve tried has been immediately rejected. I think they’re setting their minimum too close to the offering price.

By ISCA87L on October 15th, 2009 at 2:30 am

By jason on October 16th, 2009 at 2:14 pm

caught him in a lie hahaha

By redneck_patch_trader on October 17th, 2009 at 7:02 am

jason;2631 wrote: Hey Carolinacloth why did you turn down my best offer of $10 on the Santee fellowship patch last week? Now you have it listed with a price of $13. Man you are tight! πŸ™‚

Because I was doing you a favor. You have way too many worthless 116 patches!

By carolinacloth on October 17th, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Do i hear Jerry Jerry Jerry lol!!!!

By redneck_patch_trader on October 18th, 2009 at 5:40 am

I do have an addiction to things with Santee written on them. Hey check out this and tell me what the heck is going on! Did some guy from my area invent this baby?

[B]New Hurricane Santee(08) 116 Red deck white hull[/B]

By jason on October 19th, 2009 at 4:45 pm

jason;2638 wrote: I do have an addiction to things with Santee written on them.

Hmmm. That gives me an idea. Our next district camporee patches have “Santee” written on them and issued with 20 different border colors and offered as a fundrai$er set.

Hey! How did this thread get hijacked? πŸ˜›

By ISCA87L on October 20th, 2009 at 7:33 am