Value of FOS Special Issues

I’ve been putting together all of my CSPs, SAPs, etc and getting them ready to put up on my store. I have a dilemna though. I’ve got a copy of the 2004 CSP valuation guide by Jones, Austin, Ellis. In this edition they list the value of FOS issues as what it cost to get them from the council per the donation. I don’t have a current issue but I understand that they dropped these valuations out of the newer guide because its so hard to know what somebody actually paid to get the special issues.

So here is the question. I’ve got maybe twenty different issues that in the 2004 book are labeled as $100 or more patches. BUT I feel sure they wouldn’t bring that in the open market.

Does anybody have a general rule that you follow in valueing these things? I’ll include a couple here as an example of what I mean.

Comments

Jason

The E- Bay Values usually start at $20-30 from what I have seen, and get to $50 at the high end ,unless they are complete sets then the package goes for more per patch.

I usually base my value at $15 for a trade depending on the issue and what lagappe is offered. The reduced number of patches usually made for these offerings should drive the price up higher, but i do not know a whole lot of collectors of FOS only Council CSP set collectors.

My .02 and I am sure I probably lose money on a deal, but I get what I want.

By thebar on November 27th, 2008 at 12:09 am

I usually trade FOS for FOS. If I know the # made I can then determine value.
Just my .02.

By acubin54 on November 27th, 2008 at 2:11 am

If I were to put a general value on all FOS CSPs I’d go with $25.

This seems to be somewhat supported by eBay. If they are current they usually go for more, but it seems more and more FOS collectors know that if they wait until the end of the year or the next year they can usually talk an executive down, a lot.

By missingarrow on November 27th, 2008 at 2:34 am

I would tend to agree that the values that they go for on e-bay seem to be in the $20 to $35 range for the most part.

By Cut Edge Critter on November 28th, 2008 at 2:46 am

This has been a very frustrating area for me as a CSP collector. Traders typically insist on getting donation value for their FOS CSPs. If I trade anything other than another FOS CSP, I’m usually getting the short end of the stick. Also, some councils are tight with their FOS CSPs and others seem to stream freely out the back door. My Housatonic FOS shouldn’t be traded straight across for the Occoneechee, but many will say that’s fair. (Those with the Occoneechee, that is.) To make things even worse, some of them (like the Pony Express) have been Chang’ ed but people will still want the $35 donation value or whatever.

So it’s the Wild West out there concerning FOS CSPs, and the smart ones are getting them free from their professional friends and making a killing in the market. Unfortunately, I’m not one of the smart ones. 🙁

By ISCA87L on November 30th, 2008 at 2:45 am

This is one of the reasons I quit collecting CSPs.

BigJim

By BigJim on November 30th, 2008 at 7:06 pm

My humble opinion is do what I did. Don’t collect them. Start a first issue collection instead. The same thing happened with O.A. strips. The various lodges had a new “special” issue eveytime the street lights came on. I eventually sold my collection and started collecting 1/2 N.E. Council strips and now there going crazy. But at least there are no new issues all the time just whats already been issued. It’s suppost to be fun! Good luck. Regards, Bud Farnsworth

By Bud Farnsworth on December 3rd, 2008 at 1:30 am